( Associate's Degree (or equivalent experience) or two years of college completed; Experience: 1 year relevant experience working with children-required )
JOB SUMMARY: Supports the work of child life specialists in meeting psychosocial and developmental needs of children and families to reduce the stress and anxiety accompanying hospitalization and other health care encounters.
Associate's Degree (or equivalent experience) or two years of college complete
Experience: 1 year relevant experience working with children.
Experience working with children/pediatrics
Mental Health Experience
Aids in providing a therapeutic healing environment.
Maintains safe, clean, inviting environment in assigned activity area.
Orients, trains, and supervises child life volunteers and student workers.
Contributes to the organization by actively participating in process improvement initiatives and shared decision making.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity -- of culture, thinking, learning and leading -- is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt is one of the nation's leading children's hospitals. We treat and help prevent all health issues ranging from colds and broken bones to heart disease and cancer.
The world-class facilities at Children's Hospital are a testament to our community's dedication to the health of children. Constructed in 2004 and expanded in 2012, our 271-bed hospital is a child-friendly place built on the science of healing.
A building alone does not make a great hospital. Our exceptional medical teams and the generous support of people like you enable us to provide every child who comes to us with the hope of improved health. Children's Hospital is a nonprofit facility. No child who needs our services is denied care on the basis of limited ability to pay.
Many of our doctors and surgeons are nationally recognized researchers who are finding new ways to cure and prevent childhood diseases. Their work preventing and treating premature birth, cancer, heart disease, spina bifida, and many other conditions is an investment in the future. We are at an important crossroads in child health. Our commitment to research and advocacy positions us to bring the promise of good health to children and families in our community and to share that hope with the world.
RECREATION (INTERMEDIATE): - Demonstrates mastery of recreation in practical applications of a difficult nature. Possesses sufficient knowledge, training, and experience to be capable of successfully delivering recreation services without requiring support and instruction from others. Able to train and educate by setting the example, giving technical instruction, providing leadership, and generally raising the level of performance of others while on the job.
SOCIALIZATION (INTERMEDIATE): - Demonstrates mastery of socialization in practical applications of a difficult nature. Possesses sufficient knowledge, training, and experience to be capable of successfully delivering socialization services without requiring support and instruction from others. Able to train and educate by setting the example, giving technical instruction, providing leadership, and generally raising the level of performance of others while on the job.
HUMAN GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT (NOVICE): - Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency to successfully demonstrate human growth and development in practical applications of moderate difficulty.
ADULT LEARNING (INTERMEDIATE): - Demonstrates mastery of the Adult Learning skill in practical applications of a difficult nature. Possesses sufficient knowledge, training, and experience to be capable of successfully delivering products and services using the Adult Learning skill without requiring support and instruction from others. Able to train and educate by setting the example, giving technical instruction, providing leadership, and generally raising the level of performance of others while on the job.
Organizational Impact: Performs tasks that are typically routine that may impact team's performance with occasional guidance.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Utilizes some discretion and research to solve routine problems.
Breadth of Knowledge: Applies knowledge of standards, established processes and procedure that apply to your own job.
Team Interaction: Provides guidance to entry level co-workers.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (S2):
- Develops Self and Others: Continuously improves own skills by identifying development opportunities.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships : Seeks to understand colleagues priorities, working styles and develops relationships across areas.
- Communicates Effectively: Openly shares information with others and communicates in a clear and courteous manner.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (S2):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Invests time to understand the problems, needs of others and how to provide excellent service.
- Solves Complex Problems: Seeks to understand issues, solves routine problems, and raises proper concerns tosupervisors in a timely manner.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Listens carefully to understand the issues and provides accurate information and support.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (S2):
- Performs Excellent Work: Checks work quality before delivery and asks relevant questions to meet quality standards.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Shows eagerness to learn new knowledge, technologies, tools or systems and displays willingness to go above and beyond.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Demonstrates basic knowledge of conditions that affect safety and reports unsafe conditions to the appropriate person or department.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (S2):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Takes responsibility for completing assigned activities and thinks beyond standard approaches to provide high-quality work/service.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Displays understanding of how personal actions will impact departmental resources.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Uses accurate information and good decision making to consistently achieve results on time and without error.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (S2):
- Generates New Ideas: Willingly proposes/accepts ideas or initiatives that will impact day-to-day operations by offering suggestions to enhance them.
- Applies Technology: Absorbs new technology quickly; understands when to utilize the appropriate tools and procedures to ensure proper course of action.
- Adapts to Change: Embraces change by keeping an open mind to changing plans and incorporates change instructions into own area of work.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period. Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As t...he largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.